Monday, June 9, 2008

League of Freakin Clutch!!!

Method's League of Clutch campaign for Gatorade is brilliant.



As an armchair athlete, I watch these spots and get goosebumps. The music sets the tone and the visuals bring it home. These spots capture the notion of athletes in pure Gladiator...dom.

Motionographer blogged and spoke to the drama the spots echoed. I concur, but I applaud the grit and intensity the ads convey. When watching Eli's spot I smelled the dirt and sweat of 2-a-days. I get goosebumps when I watch cause I hear coach Anderson words of encouragment (cursing us and our family) as he motivated (high-knees) us.

Sidney Crosby's ad actually made me wanna watch hockey. I have no interest in hockey, but the spots make me care as they inform me that "every game does need a hero"...



So, here's the strategy I see Method implementing:

Remind sports fans of the moments that mattered.
The execution however seems to accomplish a few other feats though.

1. Puts the viewer in that moment. Actually bringing all the sweat, passion and intensity to life for the viewer.
2. Shows the common links between athletes. I never really been interested in basketball. I felt like they were cupcakes who cried foul anytime the wind blew in their direction. But, after seeing Kevin Garnett's spot and seeing the intensity in his face on the Jumbotron as the ad opens, I feel a point of brotherhood. "Man Respect" if you will. Sport is Sport. Intensity is Intensity and these spots foster the creation of an overarching athletes tribe.



Heck, you present the intense moments of cricket like this and you'll get my vote into the fraternity.
3. Motivate. I get goosebumps at two points when watching these ads. The first when the music comes on, the second when "Is it in you?" comes up on the screen. The spots masterfully display every facet of sport, but at the end of the day they challenge you to: Go make history, defy the odds, put the team on your back, ride till the wheels fall off, [insert catch phrase] and when you're down to zero, don't worry, Gatorade's got your back.

I wonder if the message to buy Gatorade to fuel your history making efforts gets transmitted on a subconscious level. Kind of a "History making=Gatorade" type effect.

We'll have to see if this positively affects Gatorade's bottom line. Regardless, they get 4 million cool points from Ed, and those are priceless.

ps. HAVE YOU BEEN TO THE WEBSITE?!? Most perfect consistent branding I've seen yet. Way to go Method. I'm not worthy.

No comments: