Thursday, May 29, 2008

Where I'm from



I'm from "The Area." The Washington DC Metropolitan Area. I'm not from DC, I'm from PG (Prince Georges) County Maryland. I hate to admit it, but where I'm from we just don't care. We do what we do, and dare somebody say something. We got our own music, style, businesses, cuisines even language. (You think I'm lunchin right? Thats how you feel young? Translation: You think I'm crazy huh? lol, You really think that?)

We mind our business and don't like strangers. Not that we're mean, we just do our own thing. If you're with it and we don't mind your presence, then sure you can join, otherwise, keep moving.

I know I sound brash, but I want you to understand my point of view moving forward. I'll sound arrogant. Not cause I'm unapproachable, but that's how we carry it though.

So as I'm paying homage to home, here's a word on our music.


The above clip is simply bananas. This is our music, Go-Go. Founded by the Godfather, Chuck Brown and his Soulsearchers in DC back in 1968. A lot of folks outside our area either hate go-go, never heard of it, or only know it cause of doin the butt by EU.

I argue that if I person unfamiliar with go-go knew what to look for, they'd mess with it. It's sometimes hard to catch the beat if your ear ain't used to it. So here's my explanation of it:

-Started in the 60's due to the anxiousness of the crowd during the lag time of the DJ when he had to switch records.
-Percussion heavy
-Utilizeses call and response to foster strong crowd participation.
-Often cover mainstream songs
-Local musicians *Every high school in DC and PG has at least 5 bands in it.
-I was in a band back when I was at Hampton *Mumbo Sauce founder...nabbit.

The clip is of Smoke from Northeast Groovers "smackin the gos" as we'd say back home.

I'll be real, I hate go-go that has too much going on. My lil bovas love that stuff with whistles and clappin and all that, I hate it. Let your creativity and musicianship speak for you...Like this:

Umbrella:


pieces of me:


I'm boosted though, my man Wale is about to bring go-go to the masses though. He was able to sneak some into the song he just did with Black Thought of the Roots.



We'll see.

1 comment:

Eric Anthony Larkin 2 said...

cool music

lifewithlarkin.blogspot.com